Friday, February 23, 2018

336: Making a Portfolio Magazine

–I recently made a new portfolio magazine via Blurb (you can preview the entire magazine below). I find the method vastly superior to sending photos or tear-sheets to galleries, which can seem outdated in today's more sophisticated environment. The price per 11" x 8.5" magazine is remarkably reasonable. I got twenty 24 page copies for $143 ($7.15 per copy which included shipping). I had a 20% off coupon but even without the coupon, it is a good price. The printing quality is exceptional.

I have tried Blurb's online magazine creator but found it buggy. I much prefer making a document in InDesign and uploading a PDF. Just be sure you upload each page separately (I always try to upload as spreads and it never works. When you upload you get a warning what you did wrong so you can go back and correct your PDF).

I plan to make a series of stickers via Moo and attach them to the envelope to make a presentation that will hopefully get opened and not thrown into the trash. With so many vying for gallery attention, it's important to get managers to actually open your mailers. I initially wanted to send the magazines in transparent envelopes with an address sticker on the front with a return address, to more fully showcase the cover image. But I have yet to find anything that might work. If you know of a clever way to show what is inside the 9" x 12" envelope please leave a comment below.

Brad Teare –February 2018

Magazine Cover: Summer Hills, 48" x 48", oil on canvas, available at Anthony's Fine Art

8 comments:

  1. Amazingly beautiful magazine Brad, you are both a great artist and a writer!
    Have you tries clearbags?

    https://www.clearbags.com/bags/clear-bags/flap-seal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Padmaja, for this great information. I will be getting some of these soon. I was pleased to learn on their website that they are USPS approved for mailing (https://www.clearbags.com/bags/clear-bags/flap-seal). I will be doing a mailing soon. I'm excited to see what the results will be. Thanks again both for the info and kind words.

      Delete
    2. I am sure the results will be phenomenal just like the works, wishing you the best!

      Delete
  2. Hi Brad:

    Been a long time.

    How did you find that the quality was in terms of color, and did you do aqueous coating?

    Looks like a great way to create a catalog for prospective buyers, IMHO, or even a portfolio for friends / family / collectors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS love the painting on pg 22 (and so many others, too!). Love the composition, colors, design, interest. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Bob. Long time no see! Sorry for the late reply. I don't think Blogger is working very well these days (so I didn't get a notice of your comment). Not sure what kind of coating I got but I did buy the "premium" paper. I though it was very nice. The project worked very well and I got several possibilities with galleries in Fanta Fe from my mailing. I decided to go with Manitou and sold my first two paintings there last month. Thanks for the kind words. Stay in touch!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing this blog! I got the right information from this article about the best digital magazine platform.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...