Thursday, August 4, 2016

296: An Interview with Dan McCaw

Work in progress, 48' x 48', acrylic
–I FIRST met Dan McCaw at a guest lecture at Utah State University when I was studying illustration and Dan was pursuing a successful career as an illustrator in the impressionist tradition. I was 23 and Dan was 33 and I sensed that he was already on a unique path.

Although I own his excellent book on painting (A Proven Strategy for Creating Great Art) I hadn't read or heard anything from him for years until I stumbled onto this interview conducted by painter Anne Ward.

I agree wholeheartedly with his philosophy–making art can be frustrating and the resistance we encounter is an essential part of the process. I hope you enjoy the interview as much as I did.

Brad Teare –August 2016


8 comments:

  1. Thank you Brad for introducing me to both Dan and Anne. I've just subscribed to her site and look forward to following Dan's work as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are both remarkable artists. Anne is the wife of painter and art educator Ian Roberts.

      Delete
    2. +Interesting, I didn't know that but I've also been following Ian for quite a while and have his book on Composition.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing this video. I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Bon. I stumbled on it at a good moment for me. Very useful stuff!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing this video. I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the video and, of course, it's right on target with what I needed to hear right now. It's my time of self-discovery.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...