Wednesday, January 5, 2011

71 Listening to our own voice



RECENTLY I purchased a set of encaustic paints. I was always somewhat intimidated by the medium, which I viewed as arcane and unnecessarily difficult, but felt there might be something to learn from the process. I purchased the necessary tools to heat and apply the colors (which are blocks of beeswax and damar crystals mixed with raw pigment). After doing a small study on a 6" x 6" panel I prepared a 24" x 24" piece of oak plywood. I lightly sanded the surface and barely stained it with a thin coat of Red Iron Oxide acrylic which I thinned to a watery consistency. I set out my colors and began painting.


The first hour was fairly frustrating as I didn't know how to rapidly apply basic patches of flat color. But once I applied a layer of wax over the entire surface the painting began to proceed smoothly. I was fascinated to discover that after applying several coats of varying colors I could heat the surface with a heat gun and paint back into the hardened pigments. The reheated paint was surprisingly buttery, not watery nor waxy as I anticipated. The process was enjoyable although I missed certain techniques I routinely use in oil painting. However, a surprising state of mind fell over me as I continued painting in this new and challenging medium.

 Since I had never studied the art of encaustic painting all I could do was follow my intuition. True, I had plenty of experience painting. A solid notion of the importance of values, hard and soft edges, and the relationship of color and composition all gave me a decent head start. But paint that liquified and dried at will was alien to my experience. As I painted a tree I didn't think this is how Edgar Payne would paint this tree because I had never seen a tree painted in encaustic by Edgar Payne. Nor did I think Maynard Dixon would paint sagebrush like this. Because of this silent inner world that suddenly engulfed me I became keenly aware of all the voices that whisper, sometimes shout, as I practice what I previously thought to be a highly individual form of painting.

This experience showed me how I shackle my creative endeavors by allowing such voices to create a harsh and dogmatic inner world. This was particularly enlightening since I previously viewed myself as essentially immune to the intrusion of such inhibiting voices.

I suppose it is natural that a myriad of illusory voices direct our painting. Especially since we often foster an imaginary world where our favorite artists play the roles of mentors in abstencia. No doubt these self-constructed tutors help us with our artistic development. But we must be able to turn off such internal voices when they inhibit us from developing a truly individual art.


Brad Teare © 2011

3 comments:

  1. This whole post is very insightful. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeremy. I'm thinking of posting a video about encaustics not as a discipline I will be pursuing but as a means to break out of the mold with oils.

      Delete
  2. Very inspiring post. I find I have those same inner voices, which have begun to seriously inhibit my painting. Thank you for encouragement to turn off some of these voices.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...